Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Axis of Evil

The Cranky Girls have been merrily visiting with their Urban Company for the past few days. Lots of fun with visitors, their lovely daughter, and their alarmingly intelligent dog. After our very happy visit, we return to the garden to find that CGF is under attack.

The edible plants that began their career in March have prevailed against the heat, the wind, and the drought. However, they have met their Waterloo, their Dunkirk, and their Dien Bien Phu in the form of bugs. Here's what a squash bug can do to a zucchini. Avert your eyes if you're squeamish.

And there are the tomato worms, which I think of as the al-Qaeda of the bug world. If I were the size of a tomato, I'd be really scared.  When the business end of the worm points my way, it's kind of scary despite my size advantage.
I fondly remember when my granny had a generous container of Sevin dust in the garage that would take these suckers out. My granny didn't spend much time worrying about what toxins were collecting in her tissues. After reading too many books about the dangers of ingesting scary chemicals, we choose to just remove the worms by hand. It's an art, not a science.

Lucky for us there's not so much that wants to eat the eggplant. 

--MCG

No comments:

Post a Comment